Drayton Hall
So - Drayton Hall... DuBose had a sailing race today so we asked my mom to join us for the afternoon. Luckily, the kids have been going on adventures like these their whole lives so they were excited. They each picked up a map and led us on a tour of the grounds.
The privy
walking towards the Ashley River
pictures by the river
a look back at the house from the river
Ellie takes a turn reading the map
And here's a little video of our princess talking about alligators, maps and her boys...
photo courtesy of DuBose
We spent an hour wandering around the grounds and then it was time for our house tour. I was a bit nervous with how the kids would do on an hour long tour through the house, but they did remarkably well. So well in fact that I was stopped twice by people with us who told me how well-behaved they were. And the tour guide congratulated me on a job well-done at the end, telling me I had great kids who were patient and good listeners. I have to admit I was pretty proud of them at this point :)
DuBose was actually very interested in all that we heard and learned from the guide. I think knowing he is related to the Draytons (by marriage) was exciting for him.
This was a fun adventure. I am glad we have the opportunity to come back whenever we want. While I don't think I will take the kids through the tour again - unless they want to - I can see plenty of picnics here and maybe a date for DuBose and I to take the tour together. It was $19 well spent!
Maybe next weekend we'll take advantage of Middleton Place's 60% admission
or the Birds of Prey 50% admission
Comments