Look who's Three!!

My baby is three years old. I'm out of the baby stage and basically the toddler stage too. For good. Eight years ago when I started this journey with DuBose, this day seemed beyond far away. The day where no one napped, no one wore diapers, everyone spoke clearly and with purpose. The day has arrived - I have three kids. 

And it is so much fun.

 February 2011

 Ellie is an absolute joy. She laughs all the time, always shares a smile, and rarely fusses. She is funny, saying the cutest things all day long. She is caring and sensitive to others. She is easy to please and eagerly wants to please.


 March 2011
 She is also stubborn and bossy. She loves to tell the boys what to do - amazingly they actually listen to her most of the time. She tries to hold her ground with me about something she wants done her way, but she comes across that stubborn gene naturally, and I have more practice so I generally win these battles. Thankfully, she's easily redirected or has short-lived fits. She's rather be with us than alone in her room having a fit (which is where she is deposited if she is so moved to "fit-level" in her frustration.) The bossy part I see daily - I do tell her that she can't always be in charge - but the fits are few and far between.


 April 2011
I get the question, "Is she always this happy?" all the time and luckily I can answer yes because she really is always happy. She's just bubbly and outgoing. She gives hugs to everyone every morning at school and each day as she leaves. She tells me she loves me at least 20 times a day - truly. She tells the boys and Daddy the same all day long too. She demands hugs and kisses from her boys often (thankfully they oblige each time.) She loves for them to tuck her in at night. She really loves it when they all climb in her bed and DuBose reads to them, one of my favorite times of day as well.





 May 2011


She is easy going and goes with the flow. As the third child, she tends to be dragged every which way but she never complains and would definitely rather be tagging along than left behind! She has a great energy and is very playful. She can keep up with the boys outside or host a most delightful tea party in her room.


 June 2011


I would have to say her two favorite things are her baby dolls and her brothers. She can play with those babies forever in her room. She loves to mother them and is actually quite good at it! And she wants to know where "her boys" are at all times. She delights in their attention and will play Legos or Batman with them.  The best part for her though is when she drags them into her room to play with the dolls, which both of them will do for her.



 July 2011

She is no longer napping.Frankly, I thought I would be upset by this because if the subject of my losing my two hours of free time in the afternoons had come up 5 years ago, I would have laid on the floor and wept. Seriously, wept. Those hours were beyond precious to me - I got stuff done and had time to just breathe for a minute (alone.) But honestly, I love that no one naps. We aren't tied to a schedule anymore and can come and go as we please. And I do get my precious hours of "me time" every morning while they are all in school.

 August 2011
Speaking of school, Elie loves school. Loves it. She goes every morning until noon except Tuesday and Wednesday where she stays to nap (she lays on her mat for an hour and a half!) and I pick her up 3. She is thriving at school and eagerly goes every single morning. She adores her teachers and they adore her. And she has lots of friends - she apparently is the talk of many family dinners as her friends are at ours. She has only been to time out once and that was when the whole class got a time out for something. My goal for school at this age is for her to be happy and feel safe and they are far exceeding those so school is a big plus in our book. I only pray she continues to have that eagerness for it as she grows.
 
September 2011

 Ellie decided to potty train herself over a month ago. I tried for two days over Christmas break but when she began screaming on day two, I quit. I knew I had until August when she had to be diaper-free and wasn't worried we wouldn't hit that mark. Anyway about 10 days after the screaming incident, she told her teachers that she had to go potty, and she did. And continued to do so. I put her in big girl undies about two days after that and we haven't looked back. She has had two accidents since then - both in the bathroom trying to get herself onto the toilet. Clearly, she was ready and I'm thrilled that my last potty training experience was such a great one! Now, I have to deal with public restrooms with a girl - Yuck! I did buy a portable potty for the car for those times when I just can't bring myself to take her into a public one or don't have one nearby. Ah, girls are much harder to deal with in this arena than boys! Oh well, we'll survive with a lot of  "don't touch anythings!" and good handwashing!

 
October 2011

 Ellie, you are precious. Precious, precious, precious. You make me laugh all day long. You ask the best questions. You have the best hand gestures, often throwing your hands up in question or firmly planting them on your hips in strength. You can throw yourself on the floor in fits with the best of them, but your smile and laughter more than make up for those rare occasions. You use that pointer finger often and in context. My favorite is when you swing that finger up and say, "I'll be right back. In ONE minute!"

 
 November 2011

 Gosh, you're cute. I need to bottle you up and preserve it. More videos, Ellie! I never want to forget your sweet little voice saying you love me or singing me songs. Or asking where are "my boys." Or the way you say Mills - Meals. Or how you say Bosie. I can't get enough of you.




December 2011

You are sweet beyond words. And so very happy. You always bring a smile to people's faces and you often move me to tears with your simple being. I am so blessed to be your mama.

 January 2012

 I am forever grateful for the privilege to be your mother. Much love to you, Chicken, on your third birthday!

To the moon and back,
Mommy







Comments