My Piranhas


 I have been wanting the boys to participate on swim team for a while now and finally signed them up this year. I am so glad that I did. They had an amazing time and really grew (not only as swimmers but emotionally as well) as a result. I'm so impressed with Parkshore and with what the coaches were able to teach my boys in 6 short weeks.


 I will say that they were both apprehensive at first about participating. DuBose more so than Mills. They were nervous at their first practice and then extremely nervous for their first meet. They both did great though when the time came and pulled themselves out of the pool with smiles each time.


 Mills swam in the 6 and under races which are all exhibition. He has no idea what that means and raced his little heart out each time. He loved to hear us cheer for him from the sidelines and would often pause to look up at us with a huge smile. His daddy called him a tourist - always checking out the sites while he swam. Not the way to win races but the best way to make his mother smile!


DuBose, who despises new situations, took some time to really warm up to the idea of competing. He swam a couple of exhibition races but then swam for points a few times. 

 He did really well with the freestyle and did consistently better each with each meet. At the meet above, he was slated to swim backstroke for the first time. I told him at the beginning of the meet which was a mistake on my part. He spent the two hours before his race freaking out about it. He cried and begged not to do it. I had one of the couches give him a pep talk that unfortunately didn't work. We let the head coach know that he was having a meltdown, and she promptly attached herself to his side until his swim, encouraging him the whole time. They were lined up and he seemed to be holding it together, and I thought he would actually do it. Jean, the head coach, gave him a bug hug and told him to do his best before it was his turn. He got in and got ready. I couldn't see his face at the time, but she told me later that he was completely panicked. The start went well and then about 10 yards into his swim, he went under and came up crying. Jean had put him the lane next to the side so she was right next to him. She talked to him and tried to get him to continue, but he refused and climbed out. After the race Jean found him and told him she wasn't upset with him and was so glad that he had tried. I told her that I had given him way too much time to worry about it beforehand, contributing to his anxiety.

At the next meet, I noticed Jean had scheduled him to swim the backstroke, and I jokingly told her that she was a glutton for punishment. She said he was going to try until he did it. She also told me that she had told her morning practice (the majority of the team) not to breathe a word of his swim until right before so he didn't have time to worry about it and also asked them to cheer for him while he swam. He swam a great freestyle race and then went to play with his friends. About ten minutes before his backstroke race he found me and said, "Someone just told me I was swimming the backstroke." PANIC. I said yes, you are. He told me he was scared he would come in last, and I told him that last was much better than quitting or not trying at all. He seemed to understand what I was saying and bravely lined up for his swim.

He did it!! He may have been last but every person at the pool was cheering him on and I was waiting at the end of the lane with two Airheads. (He had bargained with me during our discussion: Mom, if I swim the whole race can I have an Airhead? I said you can have TWO!) He was ecstatic that he had made it and gave me a huge hug. I was beyond proud of him and loved every second of watching him overcome his fears and do something that made him so proud. Truly a great Mom moment!

He went on during the season to swim two more backstroke races and when Jean asked him about it at the end he said, "I loved it! I can do it!" She was so proud of him and told him that's why she was a coach - for moments like that.


 He won several third places and got lots of exhibition ribbons. The numbers on his arm tell him his personal best at the freestyle. This was the first meet and at that time his PB was 33:69. He earned a PB at each meet bringing his time down to a 27:23 by the last meet. He loved having a goal and seeing that he could meet it if he tried hard. As a mom, the fact that his coach only cared about the personal bests of her swimmers at each meet was awesome. She really only encouraged them do their best and not worry about their place in the meet. I loved her attitude and her coaching techniques. I was truly impressed with her and hope she coaches for years to come so the boys (and Ellie too) can benefit from her talents.



 Another thing that Jean did was Big Swimmer/Little Swimmer pair-ups. At each meet the boys' Big Swimmer would bring them a treat or make them a sign. The boys would take something for them as well. Mills and DuBose loved this aspect - having a big kid cheering for them and asking how they did was awesome for them.

Mills' Big Swimmer, Zachary, made him this sign which Mills has proudly hanging in his room.


Jean had a big party for the 6 and unders which included a "meet" of their own. Mills loved it, swimming a freestyle, a backstroke and a relay. They gave out awards, ribbons, and ate this cake. It was a special afternoon that he loved.



 The 7-8 boys

 The 6 and unders




The whole team - I'm sure the professional photo is much better than my iPhone picture :)





Boys, I am beyond proud of you. You did an amazing job with swim team. Amazing. You took something that frightened you and made it something you loved. You both worked really hard and gave it your best. That's all I ever wanted for you. I love you both to pieces and hope I can watch others "eat your bubbles" for years to come.

Comments