Leland Mark

Dear Leland,

Tonight your mom gave me the best gift. She allowed me the honor of being present for your birth. Don't worry, I won't share the details, but let's just say it was amazing. One day when you are standing where your daddy was standing tonight, you'll understand what I mean. 

Your mom and I have known each other for most of our lives. I think our friendship really started when we were in Confirmation class in the 7th grade, however. We were going to different schools at the time but saw each other at church functions. I switched schools for high school, and we were in the same grade. And that is where our friendship really blossomed. 

We were very different. She was vibrant and full of life while I was fairly shy. She was loud and I tended to be quieter. She was never on time and I couldn't stand to be late. Somehow, though, we made our friendship work and were the best of friends for four of the most impressionable years of our lives. I know without a doubt that she helped shape me into the person I am today.

She was a true friend who I could count on and loved me unconditionally which is a rare find for a teenager. I was beyond blessed to spend those years with her by my side every day.

We headed off to separate colleges so we didn't have that day to day contact anymore. We didn't have texting, and email was a brand new thing at that point (I know! Can you believe how old we are?) so we relied on school vacations at home and the odd phone call here and there. It never mattered though how much time went between our talks, we always picked up where we left off and could talk and talk. 

We have lived in separate cities for the past 15 years so we never got to spend as much time together as we would have liked. We both got jobs, got married, and had children. Life was busy, but whenever we did get together, it was like we were 17 all over again. I'm so glad to have her living in Charleston again (although I still don't see her as often as I would like!!)  To see her as a wife and a mother has been awesome. I knew she would do both jobs well (she always did everything well!) And your dad was handpicked for her - they compliment each other so well. 

Your mom has an incredible faith. She is the one that held my hand when I gave my heart to Jesus at 16. She has prayed for me, with me and over me countless times. She's never been ashamed of her faith and always proclaimed it loudly to whomever would listen (and knowing her, to those who wouldn't I bet.) She has been such an example to so many through her walk and I've always been so proud of her for that. Your mom is one of a kind, but by the time you can read this, I am betting you won't need to be told that.

So tonight, I wasn't just some random in the room for your birth - your mom and I have history. I wanted you to now some of it. And now we share the miraculous story of your birth. Clearly, she did all the work. All I did was stand in the corner, crying and praying. 




She clearly loved you from the second she knew of your existence. 
You were born at 8:16 pm. 
This is a picture of her seeing you for the very first time.



The first twenty minutes of your life were not exactly the happy moments everyone expects when a baby is born. You struggled to take a breath on your own. The nurses were breathing for you so you were fine, but you really needed to take that breath on your own. Finally, you let out a loud cry as they whisked you off to the nursery and you were perfect from that second on.

Those twenty minutes were long while we waited for that sweet baby cry. Your mom, though, she was perfectly calm. (I was a wreck in the corner, praying my little heart out.) You see, your mom has that incredible faith I told you about earlier. She felt a peace that only God can give to a mother at a time like that and was praying for you with your daddy and listening to all the goings on around you.



She did have to wait forever though to actually hold you. They kept you in the nursery almost 2 hours. Your dad was in there with you for most of that time. When you finally came back to the room all swaddled up, you were just precious.







Perfectly healthy and ready to nurse. The doctor said that if your chart hadn't told him all that you had been through, he wouldn't have known there were any problems.


Leland, you have joined such a great family. Your mom and dad are incredible and your big brother and sister are going to love you so so much. You slipped into this world surrounded by love, prayer and faith. And I know that your parents are going to keep you surrounded by those things all of your life.

I am thrilled I was there to witness your miracle and can't wait to watch you grow up. I owe your mom for so much already, but tonight really tops the list.

Much love,
Nancy

Comments