QD 96-97
Friday -nothing new to report :) We did go to Nana's for dinner to visit with Uncle Charles and Terry who are housesitting for them this week. They left for Litchfield today, taking our children with them. We will join them tomorrow.
Saturday afternoon was spent setting up (well, for me. DuBose spent the day writing and practicing his speeches.) I was so glad to be able to help and to see it all come together.
But today....
Today was great! Porter-Gaud was able to hold graduation tonight. We (just a little bit of me, but a lot from DuBose) have been planning and talking about graduation for months now, wondering if it was going to happen, how it was going to happen, and would it rain. I am so very please to report that it was a meaningful ceremony held on the most beautiful night. It was a joyous occasion marked by the excitement of these 2020 graduates thrilled to see their friends and to walk across that stage bringing closure to hard work, dedication and for some 13 years of being a Cyclone.
Friday night - looking a lot like a graduation already!
A tale of good timing - when we went over to check on things after lunch, we found Laura (DuBose’s assistant) near tears. She was supposed to pick up an award from a local frame shop yesterday but was unable to and planned to pick it up today. When she went by the shop it was closed, even though the posted Saturday business hours are 10-2 but I guess nothing is operating under normal anything these days! Anyway, I asked which frame shop and she told me Frametastic. Ha- Frametastic is owned by my cousins's cousin. I texted my Sinkler cousins asking for their Sinkler cousin's (other side of their family) contact information which they quickly passed along. Laura called the owner, Caroline Sinkler, who had literally just stopped into the shop on her way from a funeral back home to Wadmalaw. She said she would stay there until I could come grab the picture! God's timing for sure!
At 5:15, I went back and started to help put things out for the ceremony. We thought it might rain this afternoon but thankfully it didn't. It did rain on Johns Island and all over Mt Pleasant prompting people to text and call all afternoon asking what the weather was like here. We were happy to report that it was beautiful! We put out baskets filled with water, programs and seer sucker face masks made by Jenni Linkous. Others were busy putting out these posters to mark each family's pod. They were asked to rsvp for how many people (living in their household) that would be attending and then spaced 14 feet apart on the field. The kids sat with their families in the pods. I thought it looked great and was a thoughtful solution to the social distancing regulations.
Getting ready to begin.
My seat.
As the sun set, the sky lit up in amazing colors and added another special touch to an already memorable evening.
Tonight was, for sure, a success because of many, many people, but I have to take a minute and say how incredibly proud I am of you, DuBose. These past few months have been hard. You’ve had to make such tough decisions, but you have faced each one with thoughtfulness, integrity and patience. I’m thankful to be on this journey with you and to have a front row seat to the care and love you have for PG! Much love from your biggest fan.
The graduates lined up on the track for their socially distanced class picture taken by drone.
Tonight was magical. I know that it wasn't what tradition holds true for PG in terms of graduation - new location, new time, new month, different layout, masks - but it was special just the same. The Class of 2020 is the first class in 54 years not to graduate on the Green. After hearing how much everyone loved the location and the set up, I wonder if it will be the last?
DuBose, job well done. I am so so proud of you and your team for putting together a night that no one in that stadium will ever forget.
And for the first time ever, it was broadcast live on YouTube. Here is the link.
Friday's Numbers:
22, 608 cases, 639 deaths
Another record breaking day with 1157 new cases and 18 deaths. The percent positive is also a new high at 16.1% as is the number of hospital beds being used for Covid patients at 660.
Today's Numbers:
23, 756 cases, 644 deaths
Another daily record. Things are not looking good in terms of the rate of spreading for this virus. At least the death rate is not moving as fast!









Comments